Event Type: Free Workshops
Speakers: Monique Polak, David Byers
Date: September-October 2021
Open your child’s mind to endless possibilities through the power of reading. Reading Changes Lives. It sets your child’s imagination free, taking them to faraway lands and teaching them to see the world through the eyes of others. For all children, reading can be fun. And what begins with fun can open the door to empathy, creativity, critical thinking, and so much more.
Webinar Recording Part 1
Turning the Page: Getting your child to read isn’t always easy. Books don’t offer the same kind of instant, interactive satisfaction as YouTube or video games. This workshop will show you how to overcome that struggle and make reading a fun, family-friendly activity.
- Change your child’s attitude towards reading and make it a stress-free experience.
- Get our personally curated list of suggested books for all ages and reading levels.
- Give your child role models through books starring children with learning disabilities.
Webinar Recording Part 2
Diving Deeper: It’s one thing to read the words, it’s another to understand their meaning. In our second workshop, we’ll explore advanced techniques for teaching your child how to engage with the stories they read – then begin to create their own.
- Expand your child’s awareness of printed language and ability to read reflectively.
- Show your child how to use what they read to become more creative themselves.
- Bring a pen and paper for you and your child to do some writing of your own!
About Monique Polak
As a two-time winner of the Quebec Writers’ Federation Prize for Children’s and YA Literature, author and educator Monique Polak’s work has been critically acclaimed for its direct yet approachable focus on diversity, inclusivity, and meaningful storytelling.
About David Byer
Children’s books? They’re David Byers’ forte. Through his beloved children’s bookstore, Livres Babar Books, where he has been for 25 years, he’s introduced countless young minds to heartfelt journeys, comedic capers, and meaningful lessons that they’ll carry with them for the rest of their lives.