October is ADHD Awareness Month
MCLD PROGRAMS FOR YOUTH & THEIR PARENTS WITH AD/HD, LD & Mild ASD
Social & Thinking Skills Groups (8 weekly sessions for parents & youth ages 5-12)
- Incorporating Nurtured Heart & Theraplay approaches & social thinking stories.
- Targeted skills: reading faces & body language, respecting boundaries, reactivity, anger & anxiety reduction, compromising, negotiating, accepting “no”, bullying prevention & more.
- Through fun, engaging, activities, parents will witness development of new friendships, increase in self-esteem, trust in self & others and enhanced parent-youth & peer connection.
Teen to Teen Building Character Groups (8 weekly sessions for parents & youth ages 13-16)
- Utilizing Nurtured Heart, Theraplay approaches, social thinking stories & lively discussions.
- Ignite morals & values: integrity, empathy, responsibility, accountability, respect & honesty
- Teens develop healthy relationships with parents & friends, while acquiring cognitive skills, anger reduction & self-control strategies.
Self Esteem Groups for Girls: (8 weekly sessions for parents & youth)
- Group goals are to: increase self confidence, encourage positive choices, feel happier about who they are, deal with stress & anxiety, teach strategies to handle peer pressure, teasing & more.
Young Adult Social & Life Skills Groups (8 weekly sessions for youth ages 17 & up)
- Many young adults have difficulty making & maintaining friendships.
- This program incorporates social, friendship & relational strategies.
- Provides a safe milieu to meet others, connect & practice new skills.
- Feeds into LDAQ monthly “What’s Up Activity”(movies, bowling)
To register for groups or for more information contact Linda Aber at 514-487-3533
ABOUT LINDA ABER
Linda Aber, C.C.F.E. is a Certified Nurtured Heart® Advanced Trainer, Certified Group Theraplay® Specialist, Canadian Certified Family Life Educator and mother of two adults with ADHD and LD.
As a consultant for The Montréal Centre for Learning Disabilities (MCLD), Linda designs and facilitates numerous workshops, groups and programs for parents, children, teens, young adults and adults, living with AD/HD, learning disabilities, ODD and asperger syndrome . Her parent, youth programs utilize elements from Theraplay®, Attachment Parenting and Nurtured Heart® Approaches. Linda has received extensive training with The Theraplay Institute, Dr. Daniel Hughes, Howard Glasser and Dr. Art
Becker Weidman. Since 1996, she has worked with over 150 families a year. She facilitates parent and ADHD adult groups during the week and children/teen social & thinking skills groups on the weekends.
Linda specializes in placing the changing of behaviours directly into the hands of adults who live with and care for youth. Empowerment of parents and teachers is Linda’s passion… she brings out the best in adults, so they can bring out the best in youth. By acquiring specific methods for eliminating youth’s difficult behaviour, parents and teachers develop effective skills, increased self-esteem, and often unimagined success.
MCLD held its sixth Annual Parent Conference on Sunday, April 23rd, 2017read more
HELPING CHILDREN AND YOUTH FLOURISH AT HOME AND SCHOOLread more
This year MCLD was proud to host a special Family Day for our members to kick off the summer.read more
Help us build a caring community. Volunteer for the Montreal Centre for Learning Disabilities
I’ve seen a tremendous change in my son. Thank you for your social & thinking skills program. He is now using the skills at school and his teacher called to say she is so pleased with his wonderful improvement. She is using some of your skills in her class.Mary S
The social & thinking skills we learned in your group are amazing. We have a new vocabulary of feelings, strategies to deal with emotional regulation, and visuals to help us help our children. We learned how to reduce a number 10 problem to a number 2, using your cartoon tools – Less Aburptous Interruptous and Glassman moments. Their teachers are noticing positive changes in the kids and are interested in learning your approach. Every teacher should learn this. Glad you are here for us Linda.Ian B
What success my son and I experienced in your social skills group. He uses a lot of the new skills at home. So do I, we stopped the yelling and are much closer. So glad you are there to guide us.Karen T
Montreal Centre for Learning Disabilities
is made up of dedicated volunteers, who advocate and defend the rights of children and adults with learning disabilities/ADHD.
Copyright © 2013-2017 - All Rights Reserved - MCLD - Montreal Centre for Learning Disabilities